lost status code

Todd Vander Does tvd at ams.org
Thu Feb 28 09:53:22 EST 2002

Rsync reports the status code of the remote command.  So in some
situations the status code is successful when the command fails.
Rsync of a remote file to a local read-only directory fails, but
exits with $status = 0.  I'd like to get $status = 23.  Is it
possible?

Local copy fails with status = 23
> mkdir /tmp/nowrite
> chmod -w /tmp/nowrite
> rsync /etc/group /tmp/nowrite || echo $status
mkstemp .group.cUaaeY failed
rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(518)
23

Remote to local copy fails with status=0
> rsync -e ssh loki:/etc/group /tmp/nowrite || echo $status
mkstemp .group.1rayeY failed
> rsync -e ssh loki:/etc/group /tmp/nowrite && echo $status
mkstemp .group.fbaGiY failed
0

Local to remote copy fails with status = 23
> ssh loki mkdir /tmp/nowrite
> ssh loki chmod -w !$
ssh loki chmod -w /tmp/nowrite
> rsync -e ssh /etc/group loki:/tmp/nowrite || echo $status
mkstemp .group.EGai3c failed