rsync default handling of permissions

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Fri Feb 15 07:25:05 EST 2002

This is a "me too". We've just been stung with that too.

"rsync -r file remote::module/" appears to mean that the remote copy of
"file" indeed ends up with the perms assosiated with the umask of the rsync
daemon (as it should). However "rsync -r dir remote::module/" appears to
still transmit the permissions of the dir..

In fact, this brings up another issue. What if the rsync server
administrator wants to control permissions? What about a new config option
"umask = 0770" for instance? That way, irrespective of what options are used
by the client, the server controls the permissions; explicitly ensuring the
permissions are always set to that value (setting the umask before starting
rsync doesn't do the same thing, as this should be settable at the module
level).

At the moment doesn't there seem to be a bit too much relying on the client
to "do the right thing"?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Information Security Manager
Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417