rsync usage... and I did RTFM

Daniel Ouellet daniel at presscom.net
Wed Feb 6 15:58:55 EST 2002

Sure you can. Unless you are looking for a log that I don't know about.

All my server only have ssh and not only the log is written to a file on the
/var/log/rsyncd.log, but I did set it up to email me a copy of the transfer
activity.

My crontab have:

15   *       *       *       *       /usr/local/bin/rsync -e
ssh -auvz --exclude "/*/logs/" --delete youruser at yourserver:/sites/ /sites
2>&1 | tee /var/log/rsync.out | mail -s "`/bin/hostname` rsync update" root

I run the server in daemon mode.

The server side is:

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock
read only=yes
uid=nobody
gid=nobody

And I setup my DSA key on the server to be trusted so that the cron don't
have to enter the password at every time.

Finally there is two great articles on how to setup the SSH side of it with
the passphare instead of empty one.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc2/

Hope this help.