Doubt in Rsync !!

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Feb 6 10:46:33 EST 2002

Glad you've got it going.  Performance depends on the particular version
of rsync, options used, network, dasd, dasd interface (nfs, samba, direct
(SCSI (version), IDE, FC)), Operating systems, memory, processors, other
load, network traffic....

I actually get pretty cruddy results with rsync in my application, which
involves mirroring a NAS device containing roughly 2M files in 102Mb, over
a wan, using solaris to run rsync, forced, by a flaw in the NAS nfs unlink
implementation which reorders unlinks, to use NFS2, which exposes the
solaris mtime bug.  If I try to do it all, it takes about 2 days to grow
to around 3Gb in memory, then crashes (there's plenty left over), so i
can't do the whole thing in one swipe, which means hard links are not
propogated, and deletions can be orphaned by the list generator (the
script i use to break the jobs into chunks rsync can handle).
People running against directly-attached dasd, or fast DFS, and doing
reasonable-sized jobs, get really good speeds, and great efficiency.

 I've had to write my own replacement, which is about to go into
production, but I still love rsync.  Within its limitations, it's a
superior tool.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Lakshminarayanan Radhakrishnan <lradhakr at ssd.usa.alcatel.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org