rsync daemon on win2k problem

D.J. Miller II jamesm at realtime.net
Mon Feb 4 14:46:39 EST 2002

Hello,

I've been trying to get rsync to work in daemon mode between two win2k
boxes without success.  The client rsync invariably comes back with:

  rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
  rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

With cygwin1.3.3/rsync2.4.6, cygwin1.3.9/rsync2.5.1 or
cygwin1.3.9/rsync2.5.2 (and with various patches, principally those
aimed at the "winsock sends RST..." problem) the result is the same.

To simplify things I put the server (daemon) and client on the same
machine, that is, from the bash command line running:

  $ rsync --config='d:\home\jamesm\tmp\rsync\rsyncd.conf' --daemon

where the referenced rsyncd.conf file (which has LF-terminated lines)
contains:

  use chroot = false
  strict modes = false
  hosts allow = *
  motd file = /cygdrive/d/home/jamesm/tmp/rsync/rsync.motd

  [d]
  path = /cygdrive/d
  comment = D: drive on catbox
  list = yes

At this point if I telnet to port 873 on the local win2k machine I see:

  @RSYNCD: 25
             This is the rsync.motd file on catbox.
  It's in /cygdrive/d/home/jamesm/tmp/rsync.

which is good; those last two lines are indeed the content of the motd
file identified in the rsyncd.conf file.

That's as far as it goes, however; running the client at this point on
the local machine gives:

  $ rsync localhost::
  rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
  rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)
  $

Anyone know how to get around this problem?