[rsync@b] Re: rsync to 2000/NT servers?

Bert rsync at b.sproing.net
Wed Dec 18 17:25:59 EST 2002

>> > WHOLE flippin'system) so that if it were to go down
>> > one could restore the full installation

Once upon a time, I used Windows's own backup program to grab its
"SystemState" [registry, etc] to a file every day and then backed up this
file with all the other readable files.

Unfortunately (or fortunately :-) ), I never tried to do a restoration from
scratch, so I'm not sure if this actually works, but it sounds reasonable
	Install virgin Windows OS
	(Install cygwin)
	Restore the files -- OS, Program and data
	Use Windows's builtin restore to reload the "SystemState"

Has anybody else used taken this approach?

BTW, I think the difference between having a data-only backup and a
fully-restorable backup is DAYS: Every time I have to restore Windows it
has taken 2-4 solid days to get everything installed -- OS, service packs,
applications. Of course, I insist on being outside mainstream IT support,
and, therefore, I never had an efficient system-installation rig.

  --Bert