My first rsync experience

David Flood dpf at scms.rgu.ac.uk
Wed Dec 4 11:28:01 EST 2002

Before I start let me say I'm a relative newbie to rsync so bear with me. I've just installed
version 2.5.5 and set up the following files on the server:

inetd.conf
rsync           stream tcp      nowait  root    /usr/local/bin/rsync rsyncd
--daemon

rsync.conf
[www]
        path = /test/test2
        comment = Test

services
rsync           873/tcp

then I run 'rsync --daemon' and that seems to work fineor at least gives no errors
although 'ps -ef | grep rsync' does not come back with anything.

When on another machine I do a 'rsync servername::www .' it produces the following
out put:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)

Can anyone help?
David Flood
Systems Administrator