Block of unwanted zeros in a dest file

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Apr 25 14:13:01 EST 2002

Eric, which version of Sun operating system were you running, and was there
any NFS involved?  What's a NAS disk?  I had a user who reported having
rsync (a CVS version between 2.5.4 and 2.5.5) produce a file filled with
nulls but he was copying from a Solaris client which was mounting over NFS
from a Sunos4 server, and the files were not readable because he was
running as root on the Solaris client and the filesystem was not exported
from the Sunos4 server to allow root access.  The problem went away when he
used another operating system.  We speculated it may have been that the
Sunos4 NFS implementation wasn't returning the proper error code.

I haven't seen anbody else report problems with rsync producing files of
nulls, but it's pretty disconcerting.

- Dave Dykstra