symlinks?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at nis.acs.uci.edu
Mon Apr 22 18:25:01 EST 2002

I'm trying to switch to using rsync for updating a huge software library
containing binaries, text files, symlinks, and so on.  We've been using
something homegrown which I'm not that happy with - it's a perl script
that systems cp and chmod and such.

The problem I'm seeing is:

target computer:
	directories ctime-5 and ctime-5b3 are distinct directories

source computer:
	ctime-5 is a symlink that points at ctime-5b3

When I do:
	/export/home/dcslib/rsync -abvx rsync://okazaki.acs.uci.edu/sun4-5 .

I unfortunately get:
	delete_file: rmdir(packages/ctime-5.0) : File exists
	rsync: symlink "packages/ctime-5.0" -> "ctime-5.0b3": File exists
	rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(883)

Is there a reasonably simple way around this?

TIA.

--
Dan Stromberg                                               UCI/NACS/DCS