On Windows OS, is there any advantage for completing rsync us ing MSVC instead of gcc/cygwin ?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Apr 22 09:55:01 EST 2002

Diburim [diburim at hotmail.com] writes:

(Quoted from the subject line - Diburim, it's best to keep the subject
line short and put your question in the body of the e-mail.  Subject
lines are often truncated for display purposes and it can make it more
difficult to see your question)

> On Windows OS, is there any advantage for completing rsync using
> MSVC instead of gcc/cygwin ?

Not only is there no advantage, but it won't work - I'm guessing you
haven't actually tried, right?  :-)

rsync is designed to run in a Unix environment, and makes extensive
use of Unix system calls and facilities (being able to fork() a child
process for example).  The native Windows environment isn't compatible
with the Unix system API.  That's what cygwin brings to the table, the
entire Unix emulation layer, and it's crucial to the ability of rsync
to work under Windows at all.

-- David