File permission umask howto?

Ted Zlatanov teodor.zlatanov at divine.com
Thu Apr 4 01:23:38 EST 2002

Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> writes:

> Numeric modes are not currently supported (ie, --chmod 0755). Although they
> would be easy to add, I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not? It really only
> make sense if you're only copying single files - as soon as you start copying
> directories it's going to get messy trying to use the same modes for
> dirs and files.

Instead of just --chmod, you probably want --file-chmod and
--dir-chmod as well.  The logic can get hairy, but there definitely
should be a distinction, so we don't end up making files executable
unnecessarily.  --chmod should override the other two, I think, rather
than trying to overlay permissions.  That would simplify the logic.

Thanks
Ted