handling of 'use chroot'

Alberto Accomazzi aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
Sat Sep 1 00:44:55 EST 2001

Hi Martin,

In message <20010831173927.F27383 at valinux.com>, Martin Pool writes:

>  * People who want not to use chroot even when running as root will
>    lose.  The only real reason I can think of to do that is that
>    chroot might be broken on your machine, e.g. because name
>    resolution doesn't work after chrooting.

What about resolution of symbolic links?  If you chroot to a directory
that contains a link pointing outside the directory tree, and want rsync
to follow links, it won't work.  This is a major shortfall, IMHO.

-- Alberto

Alberto Accomazzi                          mailto:aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
NASA Astrophysics Data System                      http://adsabs.harvard.edu
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics        http://cfawww.harvard.edu
60 Garden Street, MS 83, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA