Bandwidth Limits

Chris Garrigues cwg-dated-2c37b2a499238b24 at deepeddy.com
Wed Nov 21 01:52:52 EST 2001

> From:  uid0 at catastrophe.net
> Date:  Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:04:23 -0600
>
> On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 17:45:26 -0700, tim.conway at philips.com wrote...
>
> ; Try this commandline:
> ; rsync -avz -e ssh --bwlimit=64 localfiles.tar.gz
> ; user at remote:/path/to/file/arch
>
> I did. This is what I get....I created a 128K file..
>
> bash-2.05$ rsync --stats -avz --bwlimit=8 -e ssh blah:~/out .
> user at remote's password:
> receiving file list ... done
> out
>
> Number of files: 1
> Number of files transferred: 1
> Total file size: 127976 bytes
> Total transferred file size: 127976 bytes
> Literal data: 127976 bytes
> Matched data: 0 bytes
> File list size: 57
> Total bytes written: 32
> Total bytes read: 15325
>
> wrote 32 bytes  read 15325 bytes  1228.56 bytes/sec
> total size is 127976  speedup is 8.33
> bash-2.05$ ls -l out
> -rw-------  1 user  luser  127976 Nov 19 19:01 out

Coincidently, I had pretty much the same experience myself yesterday.  I ran a
--bwlimit=512 across a (full) T1 line and my friend in the office next door
complained because his real-audio stopped working.  I aborted it and tried
--bwlimit=256 and network access was still slow, but his real audio feed
was working again at least.

512 *should* be about half the line I believe.  I kinda wonder if there's a
wrong multiplier somewhere.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    The Greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
      hijacking of morality by religion.  However valuable -- even
      necessary -- that may have been in enforcing good behavior on
      primitive peoples, their association is now counterproductive.
      Yet at the very moment when they should be decoupled,
      sanctimonious nitwits are calling for a return to morals based
      on superstition.
				--- Arthur C. Clarke