transfer interrupted (code20)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Nov 15 01:52:18 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:05:55AM +0800, Michael P. Carel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im trying now to implement my mail server mirror but as i look at the logs
> of the mail server i used to mirror i see this type of log "transfer
> interrupted (code20) at rsync.c(229)." and it the remote who's mirrorring
> the mail server does not transferring file and got stocked in "recieving
> file list".
> I've tried transffering other path and it works fine but in the users home
> directory im recieving this error. I have alot of users in my mail server.
>
> What seems to be the problem?

I'm sorry, but that kind of problem is rather difficult to make a guess at
remotely if we can't repeat the problem.  Perhaps it might help if you told
us your rsync version and operating system on both sides, but that probably
won't be enough.  You're going to have to do some further debugging
yourself.  Try narrowing it down to the smallest repeatable operation you
can do to get the error message, and then use a system call tracer, a
debugger, or added print statements in the code to try to focus in on the
problem.  In general transfer interrupted just means that a connection
dropped prematurely for some unknown reason.

- Dave Dykstra