rsync ipv6 patch merge?

SUMIKAWA Munechika sumikawa at ebina.hitachi.co.jp
Fri Aug 17 20:28:38 EST 2001

Hi, I'm one of developers from KAME Project.

> One concern is that its configure.in tests whether the *build* machine
> has IPv6 in the kernel, and uses that as apparently a gating condition
> on including IPv6 support.  I can imagine distribution-builders who
> may not have IPv6 in the build machine kernel, but still want to
> enable it in binary packages.  We could easily fix this.

KAME patch can do it.  When desginating --enable-ipv6/--disable-ipv6,
configure.in forcingly enable/disable IPv6.  Automatically detection
works only when ommiting both of them.

> rsync supports a fair number of unix-like platforms at the moment,
> some of which are rather old or idiosyncratic.  So, while the new
> IPv6/v4 sockets API looks quite nice, I think we cannot count on it
> being present.  Any advice here would be welcome.  The KAME patch
> seems to *replace* the old interface by the new one, which is OK for a
> patch but would probably not be adequate if we want a single tree that
> will build on old platforms.

One idea is providing compatible funcions, getaddrinfo()/getnameinfo()
for IPv4 only environment in missing/ directry and detect their
existence by AC_CHECK_FUNC.

I think my tiny program is good example, please see the below:
	ftp://ftp.don.to/pub/wmmp3/wmmp3-0.2.tar.gz

---
Munechika SUMIKAWA @ KAME Project