[clug] Struggling to change boot drive and root partition

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Mon Mar 25 10:55:08 UTC 2024

On 25/3/24 15:31, Andrew Savchenko via linux wrote:
> On 25/03/2024 14:39, Tony Lewis wrote:
>
>> Where have I gone wrong?
>
> Have you checked that there is a correct entry in NVRAM?
>
> `efibootmgr --verbose `

Thanks for the clue, this was a good pointer.  I've figured it out...

On 25/3/24 15:09, Tony Lewis wrote:
> run update-grub

It was this.  I needed to add '--efi-directory /boot/efi' to the command.

Turns out there is a short grub.cfg in /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu that
contains a 'search.fs-uuid' line that needs to point to the new
partitions.  Running

     update-grub --efi-directory /boot/efi /dev/sdX

and replicating that across the three partitions has now worked

Tony