[clug] PDFs - forms plus images plus signature

DiffieHellman mailing_list at endianness.com
Mon Feb 19 07:54:32 UTC 2024

Hi Tony,

>Specifically, is there a way of adding an image toa PDF and still preserving fields?
Okular now support images as pdf stamps properly (make sure to use a
recent version, as versions from ~2 years ago didn't save them via the
standard method).

If you select down array to the right of "yellow highlighter" > Select
Annotations > + Add (annotation) > Select Type: Stamp > Select the file
selection button and select your wanted image.

Your image will then be available as an annotation tool.

As a result, you'll be able to add images to the pdf and save it with the fields
remaining.

Okular, Evince, any pdf viewer based off poppler or MuPDF and
firefox+chromium's JS pdf viewer seem to be compliant to the standard
and so should show the stamps.

Some pdf viewers that don't implement the pdf specification correctly
may not show the stamps, but in that case the reciever should inform the
developers of such pdf viewer that their pdf implementation may be out
of specification and as a result Adobe may demand licensing fees from
them (as the patents that restrict pdf (patents on specifications are
not legally valid in Australia yet - but they still award them of
course) are only licensed if the pdf implementation is compliant).

>Masterpdfeditor might do the job - I always use it for interactive forms.
Duncan, please do not recommend proprietary software to people - what
you did was wrong.

I guess that's another case of copyright infringement to report to the
GNU licensing team, as these proprietary software developers love trying
to hide their malware features by forbidden reverse engineering without
realising that doing so violates the terms of the LGPLv2.1...

--
Kind Regards, DiffieHellman