[clug] QEMU with GPU passthrough, for a laptop?

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Thu Jun 22 14:05:15 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I have a new laptop with a decent discrete Nvidia GPU, along with the
integrated Intel one.  I'm keen to get the GPU to passthrough to a
Windows VM for possibly some Windows gaming without leaving Linux.  The
laptop has a HDMI port.

I'm stuck at the point where the guides tend to say, "now plug the
external GPU into the monitor", because I don't know if the HDMI is
fixed for one or other of the GPUs, or if it can be switched between.

Ideally I'd like the VM to be windowed (and then possibly maximised on a
monitor), with GPU passthrough goodness, but I'm not sure if that can be
done.  Is it possible?

Failing that, is it possible to dynamically tell / force which GPU is
using the HDMI port?

I am a long way away from understanding this.  I'm trying not to just
copy/paste from StackOverflow, but pennies are slow to drop. Kudos to
the Arch wiki.  The information there is top notch and obviously
well-curated.

Thanks,

Tony