[clug] SaltStack

Bob Edwards bob at 2hgt.org
Tue Jun 20 23:38:15 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 05:15:16PM +1000, Anestis Kozakis via linux wrote:
> Has anyone sued and have experience with SaltStack?
>
> I have a new job and we use it in our team, but I know nothing about it and
> am looking to learn, and even though I have started reading the
> documentation, I learn better through hands-on practical experience and
> show and tell.
>
> Anestis.

Probably not particularly helpful to your situation, but we used SaltStack
in my area at ANU for a number of years up until about 2020 when the third
security issue in a row appeared and I was in the position to determine to
move away. We now use Ansible (mostly thanks to suggestions from this list).

I did get quite confused about the pillars and salt and other domain-specific
terms being used (when to use state.highstate etc.).

Jim's books recommendations are probably your best bet, but there is some
stuff available on the web as well.

My recommendation would be to set up a test env. with several entities
(VirtualBox, Linux Containers, whatever) and just try out the various
techniques (get some "hands-on practical experience").

cheers,
Bob Edwards