[clug] Bad features of programming languages.

Bob Edwards bob at 2hgt.org
Wed Apr 19 23:26:18 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:18:52PM +1000, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having an interesting conversation about bad features of
> programming languages.
>
> I am wondering if anyone from the group has some thoughts on what they
> hope never to see in a programming language, or just things you really
> dislike.
>
> Brenton

Of course, there is much research in this area - many decades worth.

I (still) really enjoy writing in C, but, as has been pointed out to me
a number of times, it is incredibly hard/impossible to properly optimise
and/or machine validate a C program as the (various) standards leave too
much open for implementors to make decisions about, and they do, and you
end up with code that may run fine when compiled with one compiler, but
present performance and unexpected behaviour problems when compiled on
another...

Of course, C came about a long time before people were thinking hard
about optimisation and machine validation...

I still like it (a lot).

cheers,
Bob Edwards.