[clug] Error creating partition

rodney peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 5 21:35:30 UTC 2019

On 2/5/19 10:30 PM, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
> My 8 GB USB thumb drive is partitioned with a GUID partition table.
> DISKS shows Free Space 7.7 GB. So I click `+', to "Create partition in
> unallocated space". I leave the default partition size at 7747 MB, and
> free space following at 0 MB. I type a volume name, and leave Erase
> off. Then I choose type "Internal disk for use with Linux systems only
> (Ext4)". Clicking Create--yields the following error.
>
> {Error creating partition
> Error creating partition on /dev/sdf: Failed to set partition size on
> device '/dev/sdf' (Unable to satisfy all constraints on the
> partition.) (udisks-error-quark, 0)}

Much would depend on the partitioning tool that you are using.

Using a GUID partition table on a thumb drive might also be problematic,
as would be defining same as "internal"

SD cards and probably also thumb drives do work reasonably reliably with
ext4 file-systems - but running same without journalling disabled would
cause high wear.

Rod