[clug] USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Aug 6 07:28:16 UTC 2019

On 6/8/19 5:01 pm, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
> My ancient DOS palmtop is very unreliable. So I wanted to port its
> applications to my PC.
>
> Thus I bought this converter.
>
> {Connect a variety of legacy RS-232 devices to your modern computer
> with this simple adaptor.

<snip>

> Next I opened a Terminal window. Changing the working directory to
> "Redhat8". Then I entered "make inst". With this output to screen.

Red hat Linux 8 was released in 2002 and used the 2.4 release of the
Linux Kernel. Trying to build this driver for your 2019-era Linux 4.5
kernel will be harder than checking to see if it's already supported
(hint: it has been since about 2004).

Plug the unit into your PC and run the lsusb command. You want to look
for a line that might look something like this;|

|Bus 001 Device 016: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303
Serial Port|

This tells us the unit is a) correctly picked up by your kernel, and b)
is pretty much ready to use as the device /dev/ttyUSB0.

if you get any error saying "no command 'lsusb' found", apt should help
you install the right package at that point.

If you don't get any output in lsusb, then the next step is to see what
dmesg has to say about it. Unplug the device, and run the 'dmesg'
command. Take a note of what the last few lines say.

Plug the unit back in, and run dmesg again. Copy everything that has
appeared since you last checked and let us know what it says. Note that
we don't need the entire dmesg output, just the lines that appear after
you plug the USB back in.

regards