[clug] Mac SSD

Luke Mewburn lukem-clug at mewburn.net
Thu Jan 4 05:01:05 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:53:32PM +1100, Alex Ferrara via linux wrote:
  | Hi folks,
  |
  | I have an SSD out of a 2013 MacBook Air that I would like to get
  | some data off. It is a PCIe 2x card, and not the usual small SSD
  | format.
  |
  | Does anyone have an adapter I can borrow, or know where I can get one?

Is it viable to installing the SSD back into a similar model Macbook Air,
and run the system in target disk mode (boot with T (?) held?)

I'm pretty sure the disk appears as a normal firewire or thunderbolt
drive to the host system, so you could then just dd the raw data (or
whatever).

I have migrated data succesfully between various Macs using this
technique, and have accumulated a collection of Thunderbolt and
other cables/adapters over time.

If you're really stuck for access to a similar model Macbook Air,
I have a couple of almost-surplus-to-requirements MBA 11" models
that I could work with you to use for data transfer (in Canberra).

cheers,
Luke.