[clug] GVIM paper size

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 12:34:38 UTC 2017

On 22/08/17 21:31, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:
> Indeed, Scott:
>
>>> I am typing in this graphical version of the Vim text editor.
>>> https://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2017-August/036302.html
>>>
>>> But when I print, my printer objects, saying that US letter sized paper
>>> was requested. How can I stop this problem, which seems unique to GVIM?
>>

>> I'm guessing you read the fine documentation?
>
> I now have in GVIM the following window open.
> {
> option-window (~) - GVIM1
> }
>
> Of which, section 11 says the following.
>
> {
> 11 printing
>
> printoptions    list of items that control the format of :hardcopy output
>      set popt=paper:a4
> printdevice    name of the printer to be used for :hardcopy
>      set pdev=
> printexpr    expression used to print the PostScript file for :hardcopy
>      set pexpr=system('lpr'\ .\ (&printdevice\ ==\ ''\ ?\ ''\ :\ '\ -P'\
> .\ &printdevice)\ .\ '\ '\ .\ v:fname_in)\ .\ delete(v:fname_in)\ +\
> v:shell_error
> printfont    name of the font to be used for :hardcopy
>      set pfn=courier
> printheader    format of the header used for :hardcopy
>      set pheader=%<%f%h%m%=Page\ %N
> printencoding    encoding used to print the PostScript file for :hardcopy
>      set penc=
> printmbcharset    the CJK character set to be used for CJK output from
> :hardcopy
>      set pmbcs=
> printmbfont    list of font names to be used for CJK output from :hardcopy
>      set pmbfn=
> }
>
>> What does:-
>> less /etc/papersize
>> say?
>
> "a4"

That is the default page size - check your printer settings as something
is over-riding the Vi(m) page size settings.

Kind regards

--
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html