[clug] Why is my SSH port forwarding failing all of a sudden?

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Tue Feb 2 04:26:10 UTC 2016

On 2/02/2016 1:36 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On 02/02/16 13:15, Tony Lewis wrote:
>> ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
> Are you sure ssh is running on the other server and that it works
> (netstat -ltn ; ssh localhost)? I think that's normally a socket error.
>
> If it is, can you jump on the server and tail the ssh log while you ssh
> in from your client? It might tell you why it's rejecting the client.
> For example, your IP might have been added to hosts.deny file.

Thanks Chris, as per my first email I did this and was seeing the
following error:

     Received request to connect to host blah.domain port 22, but the
request was denied.

I am fairly certain it's administratively denied; i.e. by some
configuration option rather than being unable to make the connection.  I
surmise this because via tshark I see it makes no attempt to establish a
connection.  I can also ssh from that server to the final server with no
problems.  It's not a hostname issue either; I changed the SSH config to
use the local IP address of the final server.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony