[clug] The biggest mass surveillance scheme in Australian history

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sun Mar 1 09:45:14 MST 2015

Scott:

> As a former complex data tester for Telstra - I can assure you that has always only required them to ring or email quoting a warrant number to organise. If they can't get a warrant they shouldn't be able to get the
> data (period).

I have read American discussion of warrantless wiretapping.

> One way or another the tax-payer seems destined to foot the bill.

The blue side of government claims to reduce taxation of the rich!

> As a tax payer I'm more than happy to pay for target police investigations - but not for dragnets.

This is a dragnet--what are you going to do about it?

> I only know first hand of Telstra/BigPond's previous practises - that data is kept beyond billing periods for market analysis purposes.

Commercial surveillance.

> But I'd agree from a business management perspective it 'should' be an ROI equation - if it's not profitable for business to do so, then they should be able to bill investigators (and the government *should* stump up the additional funding for police).

Neurotypicals are irrational!

> And it does seem relevant that 'some' ISPs 'may' turn a blind eye to the uses of the services when it is profitable (piracy).

Half of Web content consumption is pornography!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/