[clug] Pointless time-wasting bash questions

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 22:16:28 MDT 2015

On 26/06/15 11:44, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> Of most importance to me: any attempt at using expansion is going to
> blow up in your face when you have paths containing spaces, unicode
> characters and other characters that typically need escape
> sequences.

Spaces are different - any script that won't deal with spaces is a dumb
script.
Agreed on the rest (though I think we need a longer wall to fix somethings).

Of course just because something that's perfectly safe in one specific
context is stupid in another context - doesn't mean everything should be
dumbed down. There has to be sensible and practicable trade off between
taking responsibility for children and banning sharp corners on furniture.

> I have been using spaces and unicode/non-latin characters in file
> names (and omitting filename extensions) since about 1988 or so. I
> have learned to be careful when using shell commands.
>
> Alex

Kind regards