[clug] Stupid scroll bar!

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Jun 7 07:11:03 MDT 2015

On 07/06/15 20:08, Martin Schwenke wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 19:50:44 +1000, Martin Schwenke <martin at meltin.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 14:29:09 +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky
>> <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a longstanding issue with scroll-bar behavior. What I like is that clicking
>>> above or below the "bar" (the vertical line segment inside the scroll-bar showing the
>>> extent that is visible) scroll a page-full up or down.
>>>
>>> Some programs actually move the visible part to where I click. I hate this.
>>>
>>> Thunderbird was doing this well and it still does,
>>>
>>> Firefox was doing it well and it now does not. How do I make firefox return to the
>>> nice way? Is there a global appearance setting to request this (meaning, is the SB
>>> a feature of the program or of the window manager or such?). Is there a FF option?
>>
>> I'm seeing something similar with Evince rather than Firefox in
>> Debian testing.
>>
>> The scrollbar has no arrows, just a rounded bar in it.  Left mouse
>> button scrolls to current position.  Right mouse button scrolls by 1
>> page though. Seems like some Gnome 3/GTK 3 thing that I don't want on
>> my XFCE desktop.
>
> This?
>
>    https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2013/08/05/scrolling-in-gtk/

Looks like this one, but I do not see where this discussion ended in today's version.
It is two years old...

These people seem to want to "improve" things but what they do is futz with my muscle
memory, which is very hard for me to change now.

It is not broken so don't fix it. Go ahead and add new features that make some things
better, but moving functionality from the left button to the right is hard to justify..

> peace & happiness,

Not if things keep changing for no benefit :-)

> martin

cheers
	Eyal

--