[clug] help network not working after upgrade to Fedora 22 (urgent)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:18:37 UTC 2015

On 10/08/15 15:46, Paul Wilson wrote:
> yes running networkManager which caused me much grief some while back
> I thought I fixed all that..

It's likely the cause because of the SIOCADDRT (add route) error. If I'm
guessing correctly (you don't say how you configure your network - or
what OS version you are running, and you many have personalised your
system) - you should have your gateway set in /etc/network/interfaces.
If the rest of this post applies you'll only have resolv.conf to solve.

> perhaps not..

You may have previously fixed networkmanager, but the upgrade may well
have unfixed it.

The earlier versions of networkmanager were "fixed" with:-
echo "manual" | sudo tee /etc/init/network-manager.override

You can check that with cat /etc/init/network-manager.override

That is no longer sufficient to disable networkmanager *and* enable ip4
to work if you've chosen to manage your network with
/etc/network/interfaces. You'll now need to append the following to
/etc/sysctl.conf to enable the gw to be added by /etc/network/intefaces
and use ipv4 only:-
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

If you only ever use one network profile then networkmanager is
redundant, just slows down the boot, increases your updates, and adds
another layer of complexity to your OS.

If you:- only use one network profile; wish to manage your network with
/etc/network/interfaces; and use IPV4 - I suggest you remove networkmanager.

> Paul
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Welcome to systemd :)
>> I'm sorry but I don't have much time at the moment to dig through my
>> notes on this, common issue. The reference I used to fix it last time
>> was https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-networkd
>>
>> Are you running networkmanager?
>>
>> (I'll try and check back later tonight to see if you still have issues
>> with this).
>>
>> Hope that helps
>>

>> On 10/08/15 14:19, Paul wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Could anyone help me get my Fedora box network working , not sure what
>>> the problem is..
>>> I can connect from local network but can't connect to internet.
>>>
>>> Firstly during the upgrade Fedora changed my ethernet interfaces from
>>> eth0, eth1
>>> enp4s0 ??
>>> enp6s0

That is the systemd upgrade.

>>> The route is I assume IPv6 but should I try to somehow default back to IPv4

If you don't have IPv6 you likely don't have a choice. Especially given
your NATing.