[clug] June CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Mon Jun 9 16:00:04 MDT 2014

	CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group Meeting - 12th June 2014

Date:		12th June 2014 (Second Thursday of the month)

Time:		19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Speaker:	Paul Wayper

Abstract:
		Paul will be giving an introduction to Perl.

		Many of us have the occasion to write small shell
		scripts to automate something we do regularly. Yet shell
		is not a good language in which to write reliable things
		- many different effects that work well on the command
		line make it hard to write robust, reliable shell
		scripts.

		In this talk, Paul will be covering the basics of
		writing simple Perl programs. The talk is aimed at
		people who can already write 'for' loops and 'if / then'
		clauses, and aims to introduce the features of Perl that
		make it better to work in than bash.

Venue:		Room N101
		Computer Science and Information Technology Building
		North Road
		The Australian National University

		See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

Food/drink:	Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
		about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
		want some.

If you would like to give a talk at a future meeting, please email me.