[clug] April Canberra Linux Users Group meeting

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Fri Apr 25 06:08:06 MDT 2014

On 23/04/14 18:22, Paul Wayper wrote:
> On 22/04/14 13:34, Ian Munsie wrote:
>> On 22 April 2014 08:00, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
>>> Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - 24th April 2014
>>> ====================================================
>>>
>>> Date:           24th April 2014 (Fourth Thursday of the month)
>>>
>>> Time:           19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)
>>>
>>> Speaker:        Ian Munsie
>>>
>>> Abstract: Ian will be giving a talk about GIMP.
>
>> Hi Paul,
>
>> I'm afraid that I won't be able to give that talk this month as I'm
>> away all this week. Feel free to pencil me in for next month.
>
> I had a feeling that'd happen - leave an arrangement for a while and it
> always seems to change :-)  No problems, Ian, I'll set you up for May.
>
> For this month, we'll continue our series of open discussions on Linux
> topics.  This month can be audio - players, recorders, editors, and
> other tools.  Come along and ask questions - and answer them!

Well, we had a pretty decent turn-up of around ten people at the meeting
last night.  The topic of audio is something I'm quite interested in, both
in general listening and in making it via LMMS:

http://lmms.sourceforge.net

or reworking it in Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I use RhythmBox as an audio player:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Rhythmbox

I also demoed using Rubber Band:

http://breakfastquay.com/rubberband/

to change the tempo of music without changing the pitch, and changing the
pitch without changing the tempo.

Several people also mentioned Gramofile:

http://www.opensourcepartners.nl/~costar/gramofile/

which can be used to record from tapes or records.  It automatically cuts
the recording into tracks based on the silence between each, and can remove
pops and ticks from the recording.  It looks like this isn't available in
the standard Fedora repositories, though, so it may need to be compiled on
your system (which is more tricky for some).

I hope I didn't bore people with my enthusiasm for the subject :-)

Anyway, we'll have Ian's talk on GIMP scheduled in for next month and
that'll lead into a good discussion of picture editing.

As always, if you want to give a talk on a specific topic, please email me! :-)

Have fun,

Paul