[clug] SSD drives and lots of writes

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Sep 24 01:21:23 MDT 2012

“Limited number of writes” is somewhere in the order of 1M per cell.

The bigger your drive compared to the volume of logs you write per day, the longer it will last.

If you application was to write large blocks of data to disk as fast as the disk could take it, I would expect tens of years of life. Contrast this to less than a decade that I have ever used the same disk technology (IDE, EIDE, SCSI, FireWire, USB, SATA) and you will see that there really is little to worry about.

The short version: you will be upgrading to a new technology long before the disk needs to be replaced.

Alex Satrapa | web.mac.com/alexsatrapa | Ph: 0407 705 332