[clug] xfce problem

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Fri Aug 3 22:58:45 MDT 2012

While taking a backup of a machine I logged out (did a backup and) then logged in.
At this point the usual task bar did not show up. The only navigation
possible is with the mouse (right- and middle- clicks).

I tested the situation by bringing the panel up manually and here is how it fails"

$ xfce4-panel

(wrapper:4570): xfce4-panel-wrapper-CRITICAL **: Wrapper systray-6: Could not get owner of name 'org.xfce.Panel': no such name.
Segmentation fault

I can see the (top) panel blinking a few times fast but it does not stay.

A search did not reveal a solution, and I do not know where "owner"s are registered and how.

Looks like some configuration problem in a recent yum update (I am on f16). I rarely
log out/in on this machine.

I ran xfce4-settings-editor and could not immediately see how it differs from what I have
on another (properly working) machine.

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)