[clug] Base

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 20:19:49 MDT 2011

On 02/11/11 07:40, Keith Sayers wrote:
> 	I am trying to download the Open Office database Base to join the other components of
> Open Office that come with Kubuntu 10.4 - but I am getting a refusal message "The following
> packages block the installation - openoffice.org-base".

Very odd....

Sounds like a version conflict. Is that the entire message?

Which repository are you trying to install it from?

Please attach the output of:-
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

> I deduce that somewhere I have an
> erroneous registry entry suggesting that the Base package is already installed (which it
> is not, it does not come up from a search and the KPackageKit clearly offers it as
> 'available' not as 'installed').  Does that sound plausible?  If so could anyone suggest
> where I might find that entry, please?

KPackageKit is somewhat buggy - it's an interface to a number of package
management systems. The closest you'll come to a "registry" is dpkg
database which you *should not* edit.

What do you get from:-
$ apt-get -s install openoffice.org-base

<snipped>

Cheers