[clug] Android Handset

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu May 19 14:15:03 MDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 17:20:39 +1000, Hal Ashburner <hal at ashburner.info>
wrote:

> Anyone have any advice about the cheaper end of the market for Android
> handsets?

I bought an unlocked HTC Wildfire a couple of months ago for under $300
from some "Australian" site that ships from Hong Kong.  The warranty
conditions seemed saner than some other sellers.

I'm very happy with it.  However, there are some issues:

* The resolution is fairly poor.  I usually don't care because I don't
  do anything very complex with the phone.

* It is a bit underpowered.  When listening to music, I often get a
  short skip just after the 1st track starts playing.

* Yesterday, for the first time, the phone wouldn't accept or make
  calls until I rebooted it.

* If I use it a lot then the battery won't last 2 days...

I'm still running stock firmware (2.2 with SE Asia language options -
Singapore English seems fine! ;-).  Upgrading to the latest CyanogenMod
might improve the above.  I might do that when I'm more confident that
the phone has no real problems...

peace & happiness,
martin