[clug] Modern laptops, nVidia, Optimus and Linux

David Austin david at d-austin.net
Wed May 4 18:50:34 MDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Hugh Fisher <hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au> wrote:

> Kevin Pulo wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
>>

> Thunderbolt, the new Apple/Intel connector replacing DisplayPort,
> is a bus rather than a single connection and in theory allows
> daisy-chaining external monitors.
>
> Right now there are laptops with Thunderbolt but A) graphics drivers
> haven't been updated to handle daisy chaining and B) monitors don't
> have the extra "pass-through" ports either. I've also seen back of
> the envelope calculations saying there's not enough bandwidth for
> more than one HDTV res monitor on a single connector anyway.

<if I ran the world>
I must say I'm surprised by the while DisplayPort/Thunderbolt thing.
I'm all for higher communication speeds as a general rule, but I
don't understand why they don't restructure the system to eliminate
the difficult high-bandwidth link.

The graphics "card" should be integrated with the monitor.
</if I ran the world>

David