[clug] Linux VPS hosting recommendation (Linux Digest, Vol 99, Issue 30, Message 3)

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 20:57:00 MDT 2011

If you get a Dreamhost VPS (as opposed to a shared hosting thing), you
can just dial up how much RAM/$$$ you're buying. (the RAM change
doesn't even require a reboot). I have the smallest instance (like
Miles for personal stuff), and I have it host several wordpress sites
and tinkery things. This is $15/month and as M0les said includes
unlimited disk and bandwidth.

On a VPS you get root to the virtual machine and it's all yours to
play with. The control panel is a highly usable interface.  If you
want to tinker with the apache settings, you need to avoid using their
control panel for managing the services on different domains and
subdomains.  It's a really good web ui for managing domains, sites and
software, so it's a hard choice depending on the config access you
want.

And on a VPS you have total control over the software on the machine.
You can install it with Dreamhost's packagers (wordpress/mysql bundle
for example), and it's all done in one click. Or you can build on the
box itself and manage it with webmin (or whatever you like). My VPS
was delivered as a debian box, you can probably ask for it to be
something else.

Finally, Dreamhost have really responsive and helpful support people.

  George