[clug] Console Server recommendations?

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Mon Mar 7 14:11:53 MST 2011

On 07/03/11 19:46, jm wrote:

>  if your able to define the problem a little more we might be able to
> give some recommendations. I'd also be interested in hearing about
> other brands out there.

We have two racks in a commercial datacentre stuffed with servers,
switches, firewalls, routers, etc. We normally access a management VLAN
via VPN, and configure the devices over IP.

However we recently had a misconfiguration incident that left the
network inaccessible, so what I'm looking for is a backup method to
access that hardware remotely that is not dependent on the network; the
obvious (only?) answer being to hook up the serial port interface on all
our hardware.

We can get a phone line installed, so the plan at the moment is to run
an ADSL modem into a Opengear device.

Regards
Nathan