[clug] Kindle 3 WiFi

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 23:21:44 MST 2011

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:03:53 +1100, Antony Wuth wrote:

> Felix,
>
> The news for (open) users is not always that bad.
>
> There is an excelent open source product call calibre
> (http://calibre-ebook.com/about) which performs much of the management
> that you need on your reader - and more :)

Calibre is included in Debian Squid. It is scheduled for install as soon
as I get my act together and upgrade from the currently-installed Debian
Lenny to Debian Squid.

There is no lack of high quality open source eBook readers.  My failures
all relate to my inability to locate a suitable "mobile internet device"
- which is content to be just an eBook reader, but will communicate
readily with my Debian computer.

I considered the quoted Amazon advice (that non-Amazon eBooks need to be
converted to PDF files before they can be loaded into Kindle) to be both
unintelligible and unsatisfactory.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen