[clug] Avoiding NVIDIA Optimus ?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Jul 21 14:50:21 MDT 2011

Warren Gardner <warrenjgardner at gmail.com> wrote:
> The result is I don't have a computer.  Here is an outline in case it
> may be of some use.

[ Optimus notes snipped ]

I asked several retailers about machines that could be switched in the
BIOS with much the same result as you. I bought a laptop with a radeon
instead. I haven't yet succeeded in getting fglrx modules working
though, so I can't yet say that there's any winning decision here.

> I could not have the
> computer at sale price - period.  The lad I had spoken to on Sunday,
> being fairly new, got it wrong.

Just gotta point out here, that's not your problem. If it was offered to
you in good faith at a price that isn't immediately obviously a mistake
of some kind, they have to honour that offer. If you still want the
laptop and have some documentation of the price you were offered, press
them on it.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au