[clug] Choppy video on Dell XPS laptop / Ubuntu 10.04

Ben Davies ben.davies at anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 1 01:25:04 MST 2011

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with choppy video playback, so was wondering if anyone has
any ideas.

I was trying to play a full HD/H264 codec video on a Dell Intel Core2 Duo 2GHz
laptop (3GiB of RAM). Totem, smplayer and VLC all choked badly. I installed
xine, which /almost/ worked. There was a bit of choppiness and an error message
about dropped frames popped up. Strangely, it works fine on a ~3 year old HP Win
XP laptop.

Oddly, xine-check was missing on my system (it's not in any Ubuntu packages), so
I built xine from source. The results of xine-check were all good, aside from a
hint about my DVD drive, SCSI/ATAPI and potentially some performance loss.

Any ideas on what to try from here would be nice :-)

cheers,

Ben