[clug] Ubuntu compatible laptop

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 23:07:12 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Warren Gardner
<warrenjgardner at gmail.com> wrote:
> If anyone has some information on this computer, or something else that will
> meet my needs (and not die in 1yr and 1day) I would love to hear about it.

I got a Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad R500 with 1680x1050 screen, 4Gb ram,
etc, for $900 a few weeks ago. Lenovo do sales every month or so and
do some good deals (new price was $1600). I took the hard drive with
Ubuntu 10.04 out of my EEE PC, put it into the Thinkpad, and it booted
and everything worked. I was surprised. The R500 is a rather chunky
and heavy laptop but the screen is good, it is VERY quiet (beware that
other Thinkpads have extremely annoying fans), runs very cool, and
Ubuntu is happy.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net