[clug] linux Digest, Vol 92, Issue 62

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Sep 2 18:25:03 MDT 2010

On 02/09/2010, at 23:50 , Bob Edwards wrote:

> I wrote too soon. I have (finally) traced the source of the noise. I
> still had a gigabit switch in my "hub room" (cupboard under the stairs)
> but in these days of energy savings, I don't actually need to use it
> and so hadn't noticed that it had stopped working.

I was going to suggest that you could try
1) Turning off all power at the switchboard
2) Turning off one section of the house power at a time. There should be at least one circuit for each of
 - Hot water
 - Oven
 - Lights
 - Power points
3) Narrowing it down further by disconnecting all items on the circuit of interest in each room of the house, room by room

I've seen nasty RF interference from those wasteful low voltage light fittings that were quite popular during the late-90s/early-00s. Dodgy power supplies on the DIY kits that produce more heat than power to the lights, cabling that perishes in Canberran environmental conditions (yes, we do get temperature ranges between −10 and +40 which is greater than the rated 5 to 30C).

Glad you found the problem so quickly though :)
Alex