No subject

Wed Oct 20 02:45:58 MDT 2010

1. Most of the packages you will be installing from your DVDs will have
been updated earlier this month - hence the suggestion to only use the
first DVD as part of your install/or upgrade.
2. Some KDE means you will be upgrading some 3.x to 4 which is not
always without issues.
3. It's highly recommended that if you are currently using grub (now
grub-legacy) that you upgrade it also - again, not without issues.

Note: that I suggest caution because I have several instances where
upgrading to Squeeze will break what works under Lenny, and even Trident
doesn't fix the problems - hopefully that situation will change in the
next 12 months (while Lenny still receives security patches).

> I know that there are Linux gurus who use a CD/DVD to do a minimal
> upgrade and then use the Internet to finish the upgrade.

I'm no guru - but I use the netinst.iso because it's faster, and because
I only have an expensive 3G connection. I *used* to use DVDs, but
they're always out of date, and it was never straight forward...
ie. When your CD/DVD is not the latest build - you'll still have to
upgrade from the internet anyway...
By default apt will cache the packages used for you build/upgrade *and*
you can use those downloaded packages to build your own local
repository. A full kde-plasma-netbook build is only 1.3GB - your build
will be lighter

> But this does
> not appear a favoured approach with the CLUG members who read my query.
> My alternative - load all 8 Squeeze DVDs - is quite straight-forward

8 DVDs... straight forward..? :-)
The first time you do decide to upgrade/dist-upgrade from the 'net
you'll lose those lovely apt-cdrom add entries...

> and
> I do not think that my attempts at parsimony merit any further attention.
>
> Felix
>

> -- Felix Karpfen Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

At a minimum - keep another console open during your upgrade - and when
asked if you want to keep, update or modify an existing config - backup
it up. Also backup you current selections - there is no working
downgrade. $30 will buy you an USBkey big enough to backup your current
system (sans home).

Best of luck, suggest you check debian-user list for tips and issues.

Apropos of little - netselect-apt is the package I was referring to earlier.

Please post your experiences.

Cheers