[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Wed May 19 14:57:19 MDT 2010

On 19 May 2010 21:57, Ian Bardsley <ifb777 at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Hmmm....  I have just read through the dichotomy of replies to Pauls
> original post and as usual these replies contain a lot of good ideas and
> intent.
>
> As a non technical, non IT industry Linux home user who has spent some 3
> years learning the basics of this excellent operating system to a point
> where I am quite comfortable using and administering my small home network
> including a "Myth Box", I feel I should throw my two bobs worth into the
> discussion.
>
> I think that the current structure of CLUG is as good as it needs to be.
>  The mailing list is, for this kind of organisation the best and simplest
> way for people to communicate.  It works, it doesn't impose an huge burden
> on anyone to administer yet still provides a vehicle for questions, rants,
> information and advice.  I cant see how Twitter, Facebook, Wikis or Fancy
> interactive web pages and the like are going to improve things.  Just keep
> it simple.
>
> The many occasions that I have consulted the collective wisdom of the
> list's members to improve my understanding of some aspect of Linux with
> which I was struggling has always yielded at least part of the answer to my
> struggle. For this I am grateful and in return I am quite happy to "Kick the
> Tin" to assist in the goals of CLUG if I can contribute.
>
> If CLUG really wishes to play a part in attracting and educating Mum and
> Dad users to the world of Linux then it is necessary for many more people to
> devote some time to this goal than it appears exist at the moment.  The
> hardest thing to do is to make people aware that Linux exists, that it is a
> fully functional alternative to the Windows OS that came with their PC or
> Notebook when they bought it and that there are some significant advantages
> to making the switch to Linux.  To achieve this there needs to be "Marketing
> Activity" and that takes effort.  There are many ways to market something
> with little or no cost but it does need people to make it happen.
>
> Now, I don't attend CLUG meetings as a rule because the content of the
> meetings are generally too technical for me and I would not gain anything
> from attending.  On the few occasions that I have attended a CLUG event
> however, I havn't found the environment particularly welcoming.  This does
> not worry me personally because I have a very thick skin but I can see how
> the more sensitive souls in this world could be put off by an environment of
> colleages talking amongst themselves, people fiddling with Netbooks, mates
> interacting with mates and no one interacting with the person who is
> attending for the first time looking for some guidance.
>
> So I guess that what really needs to be said is that if you are prepared to
> spend time replying to a post on this list with comments or ideas then be
> equally prepared to make a more practical contribution as well.

> [...]
+1

You said it better and more succinctly than I ever could have.

Cheers! Lana

There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's
only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call
them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
 - Richard Feynman

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.