[clug] Diskless mythfrontend and NVIDIA problems

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat May 8 21:23:17 MDT 2010

Peter Lavender <plaven at internode.on.net> writes:

> I'm playing with building a diskless mythtv frontend. I'm running
> mythbuntu ( upgraded to lucid ) currently as a combined front and back
> end, with the end goal being, for now, a diskless atom based frontend.
>
> Following some fairly straightfoward howto's I have myself a diskless
> image.  The frontend hardware boots fine, however, I can't for the life
> of me get the nvidia driver to load up.  Without it, I'm not going to
> succeed with getting VDPAU working.
>
> The problem appears to be getting the nouveau driver blacklisted so that
> the nvidia driver will load into the kernel.
>
> I've tried all sorts of permutations of apt-get remove etc etc.
>
> one suggestion to add blacklist=nouveau to the append option doesn't
> work either.

  echo 'blacklist nouveau' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
  # ...and now rebuild your initramfs, if that loads the module.

That should sort you out: modprobe is then configured to blacklist that
specific module, so it should never, ever, ever put it into the kernel no
matter who asks.

        Daniel

Well, unless you need to do more to convince the initramfs to avoid KMS
support, framebuffers, and all that jazz.