[clug] Linux notebooks (or notebooks without Windows preinstalled)

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sat Jul 17 01:10:18 MDT 2010

Carlo Hamalainen <carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone on CLUG bought one of these Pioneer notebooks? I'm
> struggling to find any reviews online. Are the Pioneer notebooks
> rebranded from someone else?

I have one. It's about three years old and still going. I can't see any
obvious brands on the outside and I've never pulled it apart so I don't
know what brand parts are inside. Linux support has always been good.

I bought one of the cheapest models they had on offer at the time, and
it has never exceeded or failed to meet my expectations. It looks and
feels very cheap but the only problem I've ever had is that the left
trackpad button is now a bit temperamental.

I do not abuse the machine or cart it with me everywhere I go. I suspect
it wouldn't hold up at all well to rough treatment.

The thing still works and I've been happy enough with it that I'll
consider buying another when the time comes to replace it.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au