[clug] Downloading binaries from Newsgroups?

Steve McInerney steve at stedee.id.au
Tue Jan 5 22:30:46 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 01:22 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:28:35 +1100, Nathan O'Sullivan wrote:
>
> > I would suggest starting by trying that (hellanzb) instead of Pan.
> >
> Thank you for the advice.

You could also try:
* save all the uuencoded text in the various postings into numerically
sequenced files.
* sed/vi the extraneous gumpf around the ---cut here--- lines in all
those files
* cat the files back together and uudecode the lot

Which was a successful method of extracting binaries from news groups
back in 1990. ;-)

Cheers!
- Steve
[1] I said successful; I didn't describe how painful.