[clug] Linux compatible external Thermometer

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Tue Feb 23 04:47:24 MST 2010

Paul wrote:
> just as a hobby I would like to start measure the outside/inside temps
> and I would be interested if anyone has used some sort serial or USB
> thermometer on there Linux box?
> Note preferably a cheaper device ie around $20
I've never done it but the microphone port is an Analog to Digital
converter. So you actually need a thermistor and perhaps a voltage
divider... total cost is probably under $5 from Jaycar, half of that for
the microphone plug. You would have to make it up yourself but it's
fairly easy and a bit of fun.

The OLPC project had applications that used the microphone port for
things like this.

David