[clug] another rainy day time filler - CF reader

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Feb 13 23:04:34 MST 2010

I need a fast CF reader. My current readers read between 2MB/s and
16MB/s. My camera reads 16MB/s. I am testing a DickSmith own brand
33-in-1 that reads 25MB/s. All is over USB.

I test copying a 1GB file then check the vmstat rate once it
stabilises.

Now the CF itself is speced at 60MB/s, so I want to reach the
USB limit (40MB/s?) which is good enough for me.

I know that I can go firewire or maybe even sata card reader,
but I do not expect a significant benefit, especially when used
to copy many smaller images (5-25MB each).

Does anyone have a good solution, with personal experience?
Or maybe 25MB/s is already a good result over USB?

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)